The regeneration of Bircherley Green Shopping Centre includes the redevelopment of an existing 1980’s shopping centre in Hertford Town Centre whilst retaining the core facilities of the multi storey carpark and the bus station.
The proposals include a new modern larger retail units, with new restaurant units facing the river. There is a new 86 bed hotel in the town centre, with 70 new apartments on upper levels providing a sustainable new mixed use environment for the town.
The scheme has been designed to meet the key strategic design objectives and aspirations of the adopted Hertford Town Centre Urban Design Strategy, in particular these include the principles of massing and placemaking incorporated into the design strategy, and include:
- Creation of a new public Square situated on the River Lea as part of an integrated approach to reinforce both the riverside environment and creating a new link to the river from the town centre.
- Opening up views of the river and reinforcing these with new modern retail frontages that enhances the town centre shopping environment, and would attract a greater variety of shops which would create a cluster of modern retailer operators.
- Extensive improvements to the public realm surrounding Bircherley Green Shopping Centre, with a new focus towards the river and provision of public open space with new opportunities for cafes and restaurants, together with supporting leisure use of the river.
- Restricting the access for vehicles to the riverside, with emphasis on safe and level pedestrian access.
- Provision of flexible sized retail units, with opportunities to accommodate a potential new Food Store within the town.
The redevelopment provides a more active frontage throughout, whilst introducing a mixed use scheme into the town centre and connecting in with existing and proposed links and gateways.
Together with a comprehensive landscape strategy for the site, and reinforcement of key areas through enhanced public realm, these proposals provide an opportunity to regenerate the Riverside Quarter to create a new and sustainable focal point for the town of Hertford.