The Lancaster School is a non selective secondary school for boys aged 11-16. BSF funding allowed the redevelopment of the existing school to increase its roll from 940 pupils to 1200.
The main school building sits on the site of the old gymnasium and in front of the original 3 storey section of the school building. A glazed link between the building and the original hall forms a double height entrance and reception.
The arrangement of the building is a simple L shape containing the main teaching spaces on the outer perimeter on all 3 floors, with the central space designed to accommodate the triple height dining area that forms the heart of the main school building.
The main entrance is signified by an over-sailing canopy at high level and the new teaching spaces are organised into clear simple faculty groups, for easy way finding. Existing spaces are also re- distributed to reinforce this strategy.